Twenty Four Reasons To Include Bananas In Your Diet
Bananas are packed with vitamins A, B, C and E, many other essential nutrients and minerals, such as potassium, zinc, iron, etc. and so they have many health benefits. This staple fruit is loved by all – young and olds.
Banana is one fruit that is preferred by the people due to its low cost, unlike the other fruits which are eaten due to their much known health benefits. The masses consume banana just because of its taste, texture and a feeling of fullness. But after reading this article, you are going to look at a banana with respect because of the array of health benefits it provides to the body.
Bananas tackle depression, help in weight loss, keep your bowels regular, supply nutrients which aid in maintaining your heart rhythm, provide vitamin-compounds for eye health, make you smarter, alleviate hangovers, relieve morning sickness, lower the risks of cancer and asthma, reduce blood pressure, etc.
Banana Health Benefits
1. Lower Blood Pressure: Bananas are a rich source of potassium and magnesium, but low in salt contents. So they help in controlling blood pressure, protect against heart attack and stroke.
2. Reduce the risk of stroke: Their regular consumption – one banana a day – decreases the chances of stroke.
3. Reduce the risk of cancer: Bananas being rich in antioxidants and dietary soluble fiber, their regular consumption lessens the risk of stomach ulcers. They are said to contain a compound known as protease inhibitor which guards the stomach from unfriendly bacteria. Unfriendly bacteria otherwise can lead to stomach or gastrointestinal disorders.
4. Enhance Brain Power: Its high vitamin B content helps in boosting nerve function and improves learning abilities.
5. Combat depression: Bananas are high in tryptophan compound which get converted into serotonin – the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter. So bananas help to prevail upon depression.
6. Give immediate energy: Bananas provide you with immediate energy punch, so eat banana immediately after a strenuous workout to maintain your energy and blood sugar levels.
7. Protect against Cramps: Eating Bananas protect you against muscle cramps during workout and leg cramps occurring at night.
8. Conserve bones: Bananas are known to contain probiotic bacteria which help in absorbing calcium in your body and also preventing the urinary calcium loss, so help in preserving bones. Their high potassium content also elevates bones health.
9. Stress reliever: Eat a banana to reduce PMS symptoms and boost up your mood. It provides stress-relieving relaxation.
10. Fortify Blood: Bananas contain iron, so they guard your body against anemic conditions.
11. White Blood Cells: Bananas have high level of vitamin B-6, so they stimulate production of white cells and strengthen nervous system.
12. Stomach acids barrier: They promote cell proliferation which thickens stomach mucosa, so act as fence against stomach acids.
13. Maintain Intestinal Tract: They have short chain fatty acids which are basically needed by the cells lining the intestinal tract to remain strong. Moreover they stimulate the nutrient absorption as well.
Banana Helps Digestion
(14) Intestine friendly: The prebiotic properties of bananas fuel the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestine. They safeguard us from harmful bacteria which produce gastric disorders.
(15) Nutrients absorption: They produce digestive enzymes which improve absorption of nutrients, therefore strengthen the digestive ability and prevent hostile bacteria from harming the body.
(16) Astringent: Due to their astringent properties, raw bananas are a natural treatment for diarrhea. They also soothe the digestive tract; restore lost electrolytes and potassium that occur after diarrhea.
(17) Antacid: They work as a natural antacid, therefore provide relief from acidity and heartburn.
18. Relieve constipation: Their high soluble fiber and pectin contents help to regularize bowel movements and ease constipation.
A simple Banana works as Natural Cure in many life style diseases.
19. Bananas are helpful in guarding against kidney cancer, shield against macular degeneration and foster bones strength by augmenting calcium absorption.
20. They are rich source of carotenoids which are antioxidants, imparting free radicals and safety against chronic disease conditions. Further they also contain high levels of other antioxidant phenolic compounds.
21. Bananas have high level of potassium content that helps in preserving your memory, making you more sharp and alert. Eat a banana before exams and job interviews.
22. Eat a banana in the mornings so as to keep away nausea from morning sickness.
23. Bananas contain tryptophan, an amino acid, to boost up your mood. They act to relieve you from seasonal affective disorder – SAD. So you know now why the monkeys are so cheerful!! Eat a banana today.
Banana Nutrition Facts
24. Let us consider one medium banana, about 126 grams, as one serving. It comprises of 110 calories, 30 grams of carbohydrates and one gram of protein. The high point is that it is free of fat, cholesterol and sodium salt. Minerals and vitamins in bananas are additional bonus points, which make it a food of choice for children, young and olds as well.
(i) Vitamin B6 – .5 mg
(ii) Vitamin C – 9 mg
(iii) Vitamin A – 81 IU
(iv) Potassium – 450 mg
(v) Magnesium – 34 mg
(vi) Manganese – .3 mg
(vii) Dietary Fiber – 3g
(viii) Protein – 1 g
(ix) Folate – 25.0 mcg
(x) Riboflavin – .1 mg
(xi) Niacin – .8 mg
(xi) Iron – .3 mg
Add sliced banana to your morning cereal or oatmeal to make your breakfast more nutritious or take a banana with you on your way to work or school for a healthy, portable snack. You have choice of many forms in which to consume bananas, such as they can be eaten whole, as a part of salad, as a healthy beverage or raw banana as an ingredient of a vegetable.
So bananas are not only for monkeys! Start eating bananas from today to keep you energetic, stress free and happy!!!