At the outset, let me tell you – always remember these two thumb rules:
1. Firstly grilled is the best, and secondly opt for whole, natural, unprocessed food items.
2. Fried is the worst, and steer clear of heavily processed or refined items.
Having said that, I will now share with you some of “the good”, “the bad” and “the ugly” food items. This is just to give you an overall view at this stage. I will write in details about this on some other day!
This list doesn’t cover everything.
And some of these items are in fact require a kind of intermediary category, but this check list serves the purpose of showing you the right direction – which you should follow in a supermarket or when eating food in a restaurant / fast food joint.
Eat lots of (emphasize on Protein):
- Fish including fatty fish (these are good fats),
- Meats, but trimmed of excess fat and skin,
- Beans, Legumes
- Protein shakes
- Slow-absorbing carbohydrates with fiber like green stuff, leafy veggies, tomatoes, salad
- Items that are low in both carbs & fat, such as Zero Greek yoghurt
Eat some of:
- Fresh fruit, (an acceptable fast absorbing carb)
- Oats (non-sweetened)
- Low fat dairy including fully skimmed milk
- Whole meal bread/rice
- Potatoes – but only baked, including the skin
- Nuts and seeds
- Starchy / root veg (carrots, sweet potatoes, yams, swedes,)
- Oils for cooking – look for cold pressed olive Oil or any mentioning Omega-3
- Good beer and wine (occasionally, only to be social)
Useful Related Post: Low Saturated Fat Diet
Eat rarely (fast carbs or bad fat):
- Sausages & other fatty meats
- Canned fruit
- Breakfast cereals with any form of sugar
- White stuff (bread, rice, pasta, crisps, crackers, croutons)
- Fatty sauces
- Cakes, biscuits, pastries, sweets, desserts
- Full fat milk & other dairy
- Butter, jam & honey
- Fruit juice, soda, coke & other soft/fizzy drinks
- Low quality wine & beer
- Anything high in salt. Avoid any form of sugar
- Anything with a large proportion of any trans fats or saturated fat.
Useful Related Posts: