If you ask me: “Can one build muscle effectively if one is over 50?” My answer would be “Absolutely”. And if you ask me: “Can an individual start weight training after he or she is 55 years old?” My answer would be “A Big Yes”.
When many people think of exercising in old age, the first thing that comes to their mind is aerobic training, such as walking, swimming or cycling. No doubt cardiovascular training is most often recommended for better health and longevity, but many recent studies have also evaluated the benefits of weight training beyond the typical result of improving muscle mass.
To maximize your fitness program, weight training should be an equally important partner to aerobic training. This partnership will help these two routines compliment each other, and the end result will be a more balanced approach to fitness with enhanced results.
Read here all about weight training for seniors
Benefits Of Weight Training In Old Age With Reasons
Now let me explain you why should you do weight training regularly at gym even in your later years? Here are the top 5 reasons:
1. To Slow Down The Aging: You need enough testosterone and human growth hormone (HGH) levels to dramatically curb the effects of aging. And a natural way to boost testosterone and HGH release in the body is resistance training or moving your body through its normal range of motion against a force like a weight or elastic band or even your own bodyweight.
2. To Reduce Body Fat: Weight training is the most efficient way to lose body fat.
Weight lifting builds muscle mass. Muscle mass burns more calories at rest, so the more you have, the more calories you’ll burn 24/7.
Learn here how to lose belly fat after 50?
3. To Build Strength: Weight training improves strength and helps the body sustain mobility. Because loss of strength and a decreased ability for full range of motion movement can speed up aging.
Visit this link to find out what and when to exercise for seniors?
4. To Improve Cardiovascular Health: Weight training can build muscle, which in turn improves cardiovascular fitness. Increased muscle mass over 50 fosters efficient fat burning even when you are not lifting weights.
Read here about muscle building for seniors
5. To Beat Osteoporosis: This point is crucially beneficial to the older adults. Senior citizens really need to perform resistance training regularly. To tell you the truth there is no better way to strengthen bones than the consistent progressive training.
Women aren’t the only ones who should be concerned about loss of bone density – and strength – due to aging. Bone density responds favorably to weight training, and an ongoing program will keep bones strong and more injury resistant.
Read here for what exercises are good for knee arthritis?
If you do weight training, besides all the above benefits, you can still look good on the beach even in your later years. Yes, if you want to impress the girls even after 50 years old age you should begin weight training. It’s as simple as that.
Read here for muscle building after 50
As some body has said, “Attitude is important in life, even after 60”. You have to believe you can do it.
You must always keep in mind that regaining the physique of your youth is attainable.
Read here to find out should you do weight lifting over 50 years age?
So get up and start weight training!