You can lose weight fast through the so-called many fad diet plans – but at the cost of keeping you hungry and food-deprived. And then how often does it work? Rarely – The fad-diets are not good enough to give you a permanent solution. You are likely to regain most of the lost weight in no time. Don’t you want to shed pounds permanently? Experts say – The best way to keep off pounds permanently is to lose weight slowly. They also say you can lose weight without dieting.
Can You Lose Weight Without Dieting?
Yes you can shed pounds permanently by just making simple changes to your lifestyle. The secret is like this. One pound of fat is equivalent to 3,500 calories. By cutting 500 calories a day just by making certain modifications in your diet and upping your physical activities, you can lose approximately a pound a week. And then for maintaining your existing weight, cutting 100 calories a day is good enough to dodge extra 1-2 pounds that most adults gain a year.
How To Lose Weight Fast Without Dieting
For all those who don’t have the time or liking for a crash diet or hit the gym, we have got some great news. Learn here ways to lose weight without dieting by adopting one or more of these simple, painless steps. After all, it’s all about what you eat and how you eat.
1. Savor Your Bites: Don’t eat in a hurry. When you eat fast you tend to eat more, as your stomach doesn’t not get enough time to convey to your brain that you are full. Instead relish each bite and eat slowly as much as you can. Eat slowly and enjoy your meals having smaller portions to help your body trigger fullness hormones even before you are full. This is one of the best habits to get rid of over-eating and shedding weight without dieting.
2. Chew More, Eat Less: Chewing longer averts over-eating, allowing your stomach more time to send signals to your brain resulting into less calories intake. In other words slow down your pace and don’t gorge down your food, because the brain needs some time to register that “I’m full” message. Try chewing 35 to 50 times per mouthful.
3. Eat More Vegetables And Fruits: Eating lots of high fiber and low calorie fruits and vegetables is a great way to lose weight. Replace the foods higher in fat and calories with low calorie and high volume foods. Now you will ask how to make one to eat more vegetables. Try this trick. Serve three vegetables with dinner tonight – instead of one – and you will eat more vegetables even without knowing it. Serving variety of vegetables can trick you in eating more vegetables. What happens is that by eating more vegetables and fruits you fill your stomach with fewer calories. But take care to cook them without adding fat, high-fat sauces or dressings. Instead season them with lemon juice and herbs.
Another trick is to start your lunch or dinner with a vegetable salad. That is not difficult. Stock your kitchen with variety of vegetables and fruits, and at every meal try a different combination. That will make you fill up your tummy with super-nutritious foods enriched with minerals, vitamins; phytonutrients, fiber and you will not have the urge to have cookie or other tits-bits!
4. Soup Helps To Lose Weight: Include a bowl of broth-based soup in your everyday menu. It’s a great option to fill you up on fewer calories. Rotate your choice daily to maintain your interest in soups – Minestrone, Tortilla, or Chinese won-ton. Soups are useful, particularly at the start of a meal to slacken your eating pace and curb your appetite. If you are having canned soup, ensure it’s with a low-sodium broth, or simmer your own soup with variety of vegetables. Avoid the creamy soups that are usually high in fat and calories.
5. Say No To Refined Grains: Substitute whole grains like brown rice, barley, oats, buckwheat, and whole wheat for refined grains like white bread, cakes, cookies, and pretzels. It can be an essential part of your losing weight regime without dieting strategy. They contain more fiber that can fill you up faster, so you are less likely to indulge in overeating. The bonus point is that they help to set your cholesterol levels within the required range. You have the choice of including whole grain breads, pastas, bran flakes, popcorn, and whole-rye crackers in your weight loss diet.
6. Smart Pizza Slice: Go for veggies toppings instead of meat, and wow! You can save 100 calories from your daily quota. Other smart tricks – Be measly on the cheese or go for low-fat cheese and try a thin-crust pizza made up with scanty touch of olive oil.
7. Ditch The Bacon For Weight Loss: Get rid of the bacon strips at the breakfast or in your sandwich. This can easily cut down about 100 calories intake, which can make you shed 10 pound fat over a year. Instead of bacon you can go for tomato and cucumber slices, banana or bell peepers, or a thin spread of low-fat herbed goat cheese.
8. Keep Away From Meat On More Days: Eating more vegetarian meals is a good way to lose weight without dieting. Observe around you, what you will find is that vegetarians usually weight less than the meat eaters. You can opt for legumes as well. The legume based foods, like bean burgers, lentil soup, etc. are packed with fiber that fill up your stomach with fewer calories for long duration. So they keep you away from munching on snacks that are full of calories.
9. Reduce Sugar Intake: Substitute your sugary drinks with water or a zero-calorie seltzer, as much as you can. If you don’t like the taste of plain water, add a lemon slice, mint or frozen strawberries for flavor and fun. Similarly try to avoid other sugary products. Moreover the liquid sugar in soda or other drinks seems to bypass the body’s normal fullness signals and you tend to intake much more calories in liquid form.
10. Drink Smart – Use a Tall, Thin Glass: If you cannot avoid and if at all you want to drink, use a tall, skinny glass instead of a short, wide tumbler. This is a smart way to cut on liquid calories – and so you lose weight – without dieting. A study shows that this way you will tend to drink 25%-30% less of juice, soda, wine, or any other sugary beverage.
11. Avoid Alcohol, or Drink Smart: Avoid alcohol, the weight gainer. And if not possible such as on an occasion, delay the first drink, and then follow it with a non-alcoholic, no or low calorie beverage, like sparkling water instead of moving directly to another cocktail, beer, or glass of wine. Alcohol contains more calories per gram (7) than carbohydrates (4) or protein (4). Alcohol consumptions can also slacken your determination, resulting into mindlessly gobbling up of chips, nuts and other foods that you otherwise need to limit.
12. Have Smaller Meals, More Often: Eating often about five to six times per day, with a two to three hour break between each meal can help you lose weight. Eating more frequently makes you feel hungry less often; as a result you tend to eat less. This practice gets your metabolism going and keeps it working at a raised level continuously throughout the day.
But the caveat is to eat the right food in smaller quantities and never overeat. You should aim at eating small meals and snacking at every two to three hours.
13. Smaller Plates And Bowls: You will automatically eat less when you eat in smaller plates and bowls. Here you trick your brain in to thinking that you have had enough when you use smaller plates. With larger dishes people usually serve more and eat more. This way you can cut out 100-200 calorie a day – equivalent to a reduction of 10-20 pounds weight in a year. Is it not an amazing trick!
14. 80-20 Rule, A Great Formula: Usually people are conditioned to keep eating until they are full. A secret to lose weight is to get into the healthy habit of 80-20 rule – that is 80% full. You will not miss it either. It’s one of the best ways to reduce weight without dieting.
15. Decide Cut-off Time: Fix a cut-off time after which you will not eat so that you won’t give in to the late night munchies or mindless snacking while watching TV. If you find it tough to refrain, go for some herbal tea. After your dinner, brush your teeth so you will be less likely to eat or drink and to keep your mind switch off even from the idea of eating.
16. Sleep More To Lose Weight: Many studies have shown that there is correlation between insufficient sleep and obesity. This happens due to two reasons:
(i) Some experts say sleeping for less than seven hours revs up your appetite, making you feel hungry and eat more.
(ii) It has been shown that when sleep substitute for idle activities – and the usual mindless snacking – your calories intake is cut down by 6% without any efforts.
According to one study, sleeping an extra hour a night can help you to lose 14 pounds fat in a year. On the other hand as per another study, by having insufficient sleep you can play wreck with your waistline in just five nights. Lack of sleep can intrude with your metabolism and exhort you to eat more – particularly mindlessly in the evening while watching TV or surfing the web.
17. Chew Strong Sugarless Mint Gum: People normally indulge in mindlessly snacking while making dinner after work, or when socializing at a party, watching TV, or when sitting at computer. This is the time when you are at a risk of having mindless urge to keep munching. By chewing sugarless gum with a strong flavor you can trick your mind to not to get trapped in mindless gobbling.
18. Get Active To Burn 100 Calories More: We are not talking here about workouts, but just your lifestyle. You can lose weight without dieting only by avoiding the sedentary lifestyle and leading an active life. Don’t miss any opportunity to burn extra calories. Start walking up stairs instead of taking lift or elevator. Walk your dog extra distance, walk while you talk on phone, or indulge in dancing activities. Likewise get involved into any of the following physical activities to lose 10 pounds in a year without dieting – by burning 100 calories every day.
(i) Walk one mile, about 20 minutes;
(ii) Jog for 10 minutes;
(iii) Mow the lawn, about 20 minutes; or
(iv) Clean house, about 30 minutes.
Share with us if you have any other idea to lose weight without dieting.
Useful Related Articles: